Annabel Karmel's baked bean and poached egg pittas
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
Kids love beans, so here’s a tasty twist on traditional beans on toast to fuel their day…and yours too! This also makes for a protein-packed teatime tummy filler after a busy day of play.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300 ml passata
- ½ tsp Worcester sauce
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 x 400g tin haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small wholemeal pittas
- Knob butter for spreading
- 2 medium British Lion eggs
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, paprika and red pepper. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the passata, Worcester sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Add the beans to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Crack an egg into a bowl. Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool and slowly tip the egg into the centre. Repeat for the second egg.
- Poach each egg for 3 to 4 minutes, then lift each egg out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Toast the pitta bread, slice to open up and spread with butter.
- For each portion, arrange 2 pitta slices on a plate, spoon over the beans and top with a poached egg to serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: