Asparagus crêpes with ham and cheese
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 16 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- For the pancakes:
- 40g/1½ oz. plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 large British Lion egg
- 100ml/4 fl oz. milk
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling:
- 8 Asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices of ham
- 1x 250ml tub readymade cheese sauce or homemade (see below)
- 50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Add half of the milk and whisk well until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper. Pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the top is set and the base is golden.
- Flip over the pancake and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm. Use the batter to make a further 3 pancakes in the same way.
- Take four pancakes, and arrange a slice of ham in the centre of each, spoon 2 tbsp of the hot sauce down the centre of the ham, then lay two asparagus spears on top so the tips stick out the end. Roll up the pancakes and arrange in a heatproof dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the pancakes and sprinkle over the cheese. Pop under a hot grill for 2 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling. Serve hot.
Cook’s tip: if you prefer, make the cheese sauce yourself: in a pan, put 250ml/8floz whole milk, 25g/1oz butter and 25g/1oz plain flour, place over a medium heat and gradually bring to the boil, using a balloon whisk to stir the mixture until it boils and thickens. Stir in 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard and 50g/2oz mature cheddar cheese and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: