Christmas cake (last minute)
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 120 mins
- 675 g (1 1/2 lb.) mixed dried fruits
- 75 g (2 3/4 oz.) glace ½ cherries, quartered
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 4 tablespoons dark rum or brandy
- 225 g (8 oz.) butter, softened
- 225 g (8 oz.) light soft brown sugar
- 4 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- 225 g (8 oz.) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed ground spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz.) flaked almonds
- Place the first four ingredients in a medium pan.
- Bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum or brandy. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170C/320F.
- Grease a 20cm (8-inch) deep round cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Purée one third of the fruit in a food processor.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well between additions.
- Stir in the flour and spices.
- Stir in the fruit purée and then the almonds and fruits. Spoon into the tin and level the surface.
- Bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Cool in the tin.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: