Tom Daley's Caramel Tart
- 1 x sweet pre-made pastry shell from any well known retailer in their baking section
- 250ml double cream or creme fraiche if you want a slightly healthier option
- 250ml whole milk
- 4 large British Lion egg yolks (75g)
- 20g light brown soft sugar
- 70g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Have an empty medium sized bowl, a whisk and a sieve ready.
- Pre heat oven to 100 degrees
- Place the sweet pre-made pastry shell on a flat roasting tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Weigh out the cream and milk and pour into a saucepan - Warm over a gentle heat until small bubbles hit the surface. If using cream fraiche stir the mix to combine with the milk.
- Put the caster sugar in a heavy based saucepan over a medium to high heat. Once the sugar starts to melt gently agitate the pan - you are looking for all the sugar to dissolve and
- a golden caramel colour.
- In a separate medium sized bowl measure out the light brown sugar and egg yolks and mix with a wooden spoon - set aside
- Once the sugar has melted carefully pour the warmed cream and milk mix and gently whisk - being careful as the mix will spit.
- Now pour the sugar and cream mix onto the brown sugar and eggs and use a whisk to stir - pour the mix through a sieve into the clean bowl.
- Now the filling is ready to pour into the pastry case.
- Put the tray with the empty shell onto the middle oven shelf and then pour in the mix - this will avoid spilling - Fill the case leaving a 3mm gap. You may have some mix left over.
- Bake at 100 degrees for 1 hour and a half or until the filling has a slight wobble when you agitate the tray.
- Leave to cool then serve.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: