Kipper egg & leek gratin
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 2 (220g) packs boil in the bag kippers
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
- 450ml/3/4pt milk
- 50g/2oz butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g/3oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- Toast triangles to serve
- Cook the kippers in boiling water for 15mins or according to packet instructions. Drain and flake. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 7mins. Drain the eggs, then rinse in cold water. Tap the shells all over and peel away. Cut the eggs into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the leeks and sauté over a medium heat for 3mins. Add 4tbsp water, cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 3mins or until just tender. Transfer to one large or four individual shallow ovenproof dishes.
- Place the milk, butter and flour together in the same pan you cooked the leeks in. Gently heat, stirring with a wire whisk until the mixture boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and cook for 1min. Season to taste and stir in half the cheese.
- Add the kippers and eggs to the leeks, pour over the cheese sauce and lightly mix. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop under a medium grill and cook for 3mins or until golden and bubbling. Serve with toast triangles.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Broccoli & feta strata
Enjoy as a fantastic family-sized side or portioned for a homely main course - our broccoli and feta strata...
Smoked salmon and broccoli frittata
This l ow calorie recipe for smoked salmon and broccoli frittata is quick to prepare and very tasty, making...