Low calorie spiced egg pilau
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
This dish is ideal for athletes as it provides a 3 to 1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein, which studies have shown promotes fastest post-exercise recovery. Basmati rice is used in the dish as it has a lower GI than white rice, which means it produces more stable blood sugar levels.The addition of the eggs further lowers the GI, thus helping sustain a supply of energy and protein to the muscles.
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon/2.5 ml cumin seeds
- 85g/3 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g/7 oz basmati rice
- 150g/5oz frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan. Add the onion and cook over a moderate heat for 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin seeds and mushrooms and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the rice with 450 ml (3/4 pint) water then bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peas and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Season and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Meanwhile put the eggs into a large pan of boiling water, then reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes. Drain and shell.
- Divide the rice into four bowls. Halve the eggs and arrange on top of the rice. Serve with a leafy salad.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: