Marcus Wareing's baked egg custard tart
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 50mins
Recipe courtesy of celebrity chef Marcus Wareing, for British Egg Week 2011.
- For the pastry:
- 225g flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 150g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 large British Lion egg yolk
- 1 large British Lion egg
- For the custard filling:
- 9 large British Lion egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 500ml whipping cream
- 2 nutmegs
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
- For the pastry, rub together the flour, salt, lemon zest and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, then beat together the egg yolk and whole egg and slowly add these, mixing until the pastry forms a ball. Wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate for two hours.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2mm/ 1/8 in thickness. Use to line an 18cm/7in flan ring placed on a baking sheet. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, then bake blind for about 10 minutes or until the pastry is starting to turn golden brown. Remove the paper and beans, and allow to cool.
- Turn the oven down to 130C/250F/Gas 1.
- For the filling, bring the cream to the boil. Whisk the yolks and sugar together then add the cream and mix well. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug.
- Place the pastry case in the oven then pour the custard mix right to the brim. Grate the nutmeg liberally over the top then bake for 30-40 minutes or until the custard appears set but not too firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Sweet cherry frittata
This delicious dessert which is sure to go down well at home.
Gizzi Erskine's marmalade and cointreau soufflé omelette
Gizzi says: "A soufflé omelette is a great way to get started with soufflés before attempting the ‘real’ thing...
Souffle omelette with apples and blackberries
For those with a sweet tooth, try this charming summer soufflé omelette. Filled with crunchy sweet apple pieces and...
Warm eggy bread & berries
A delicious desser perfect when British berries are in season.