Aubergine yoghurt with spice-crusted eggs
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 45mins
- 2 aubergines
- 5 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Juice of half a lime or lemon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp za'atar spice mix
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 pitta breads, warmed
- Poke the aubergines all over with a fork or knife. Place into a roasting dish and roast for 30-40 minutes until completely softened. Leave to cool before cutting in half, scooping out the flesh and discarding the skins. Roughly chop the flesh into small pieces then place into a bowl.
- Add the yoghurt, garlic, lime juice, chilli flakes, fresh mint and coriander into the bowl of aubergine and stir together. Taste and season with salt as preferred. Place into a serving dish.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil then turn the heat down to low. Lower in the eggs and let cook for 5 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water and place into a bowl of cold water until cool enough to handle. Tap the eggs on a surface to crack the shell then carefully peel off and discard.
- Place the za’atar into a small, wide bowl and roll the peeled eggs in it to coat. Cut in half and place onto the aubergine yoghurt then sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately with warm pitta breads.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: