Avocado and chilli huevos rancheros
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 15mins
A fantastic hearty recipe that’s perfect for sharing, this Mexican dish packs together thick tomato sauce, fried eggs, diced avocado and a chopped red chilli for extra oomph. Provecho!
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 chilli, sliced or 1tbsp jarred jalapeños
- 200g carton of passata
- 1 tsp chilli powder (ancho is best), or to taste
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 50g Cheddar, grated
- 1 small avocado, peeled, stoned and diced
- 1.5 tbsp soured cream
- Handful of coriander leaves
- For the pico de gallo…
- 5 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeño chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Heat oven to Mark 4/180C/160C fan. Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add garlic and fry until golden, add sliced peppers, bay leaves, onion and sliced chilli and cook until soft.
- Add passata and chilli powder and cook for a further two minutes, stirring all the time.
- Crack eggs into the pan and cook for about 30 seconds until the whites start to set. Scatter the cheese on top then bake for five minutes until the eggs are cooked with a runny yolk.
- Meanwhile, mix all the pico de gallo ingredients together in a bowl. Leave for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, add avocado, soured cream, pico de gallo and coriander and serve with some bread or corn tortillas.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Baked eggs with courgettes & tomatoes
212 calories per portion
Broccoli & feta strata
Enjoy as a fantastic family-sized side or portioned for a homely main course - our broccoli and feta strata...
MOB Kitchen's Garlic, Tomato and Basil Baked Eggs
Watch the yolk drip, as you dunk crunchy croutons into this deliciously sweet and fresh tomato sauce with runny...
Pesto egg and ham Danish pastry
A quick and easy pastry recipe with eggs and ham