Chicken Balti pancakes
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 30mins
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 150ml/1/4pt milk
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breast fillets, skinned and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp balti curry paste
- 1(400g) can chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of sugar
- A little lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Cucumber and red onion salad to serve
- First make the pancakes: Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl with half the milk. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth, pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper. Now pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula or if you are feeling brave, flip the pancake!
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and interleave with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter and a little more oil to make a further 7 pancakes in the same way.
- Next make the filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok, add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are beginning to brown.
- Add the balti paste, tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Add the sugar and lemon juice and then season to taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander. Divide the chicken curry between the pancakes and fold over. Serve with a cucumber and red onion salad if liked.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Egg rolls make a tasty accompaniment to many meals.
Orange, pecan & maple syrup pancakes
Pancakes with orange, pecan & maple syrup recipe