Easy gado gado salad
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 0mins
- Cook: 20mins
- For the dressing:
- 50g (2oz) salted peanuts
- ½ red chilli, halved and deseeded
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 small onion (the size of a shallot), peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice only
- 3 - 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- For the salad:
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 450g (1lb) potatoes (about 2), scrubbed and cut into chunks, then boiled and cooled
- 4 British Lion eggs, hard-boiled, shelled and quartered
- 110g (4oz) beansprouts blanched and drained
- 10g (4oz), fine green beans, trimmed, blanched and drained
- 75g (3oz), baby spinach washed and drained
- 10cm (4in) piece cucumber, cut into strips
Tip: To blanch the beansprouts, plunge into boiling water for just one minute; the green beans will need three minutes in boiling water.
- To make the dressing, put everything except the sunflower oil together with 5 tbsp of water in a mini blender and purée until smooth. Tip the sauce into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer very gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Gradually whisk in the oil to make a thick dressing.
- For the salad, heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook slowly for about 10 minutes until they start to turn a deep golden colour. Remove from the heat and drain off any excess oil.
- Cut the cooked potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Arrange the potatoes, eggs, beansprouts, beans, spinach and cucumber in layers in a large salad bowl. Scatter with the crispy onions, pour over the dressing and toss together gently. Serve at once.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: