Fried egg naan with masala beans
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp root ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 200g carton passata
- 4 tbsp tomato chutney (see recipe)
- 400g can baked beans, drained reserving sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 25g butter
- 4 mini naan breads, warmed (see recipe)
- For the naan…
- 1 tsp fast-action yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 150g strong white bread flour, plus extra to dust
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- For the chutney…
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60g light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp HP sauce
- For the beans, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add onion and fry for five minutes until golden brown.
- Add the spices and cook until aromatic. Add the passata, the beans and 3 tbsp reserved bean juice and cook for five minutes until thick. Season to taste and finish with coriander.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan, fry the eggs until the whites have almost set. Add butter and baste the yolks to evenly cook.
- Spread the chutney onto the naans, top with the eggs and serve alongside the beans.
- For the naan, mix the yeast and sugar with 75ml warm water and leave for five minutes until frothy. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Add yogurt and yeast mixture and bring together with a knife. Place on a floured surface and knead for five minutes until it forms a soft dough. Cover and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Knock back and divide into four balls.
- Heat a griddle or cast iron pan and roll out the dough into rough circles about 12cm in diameter. Dry cook for about two minutes on each side until puffed up and slightly blackened. Brush with melted butter and flaked salt.
- For the chutney, cook all ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat for about 20 minutes until thick.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Gizzi Erskine's huevos rancheros
Gizzi says: "One of my favourite brunch recipes must be huevos rancheros, the classic Mexican dish of corn tortillas...
Egg in a toast with tomato and feta
A runny egg in crispy toast will be your new favorite thing in the mornings! Chop up some tomatoes...