Hot cross buns recipe
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
Hot cross buns - a classic Easter recipe you can now enjoy at any time. Learn how to make hot cross buns with our four step method.
- 450g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100g caster sugar
- 7g sachet easy blend dried yeast
- 250g dried mixed fruit
- 50g butter
- 250ml milk plus 3 tbsp
- 1 large British Lion egg, beaten
- 50g plain flour
- Sift the flour, salt, spice and 50g of the sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast and fruit. In a small pan, melt the butter, then add the milk and heat until tepid. Stir into the dry ingredients with the egg and mix to form a soft dough.
- Tip the dough out on a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place a little way apart on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with oiled clear film and leave to prove in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 19C/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5. To make the crosses, put the plain flour in a small bowl with 6 tbsp cold water; mix to a smooth paste. Spoon into a piping bag and neatly pipe a cross over each of the buns. Bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown.
- When the buns are nearly ready, heat the remaining sugar and milk with 3 tbsp water in a small pan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil for 1 min. Remove the buns from the oven and brush twice with the glaze. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm spread with butter.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Hot cross buns with cherry & walnut
A variation of this classic Easter recipe , which will impress.
Lemony hot cross pudding
A zesty take on a classic, our lemony hot cross pudding has just the right amount of sweetness, perfectly...
This splendid Easter meringue pavlova is a dessert that showcases fresh flavours and tantalising textures. Our recipe features three...
Little lemon tarts
These little lemon tarts might have an Easter theme but they taste delicious all year round.