Sausage and egg pie
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 25mins
- Cook: 30mins
For a hearty, warming main meal why not try our delicious sausage and egg pie? A firm family favourite that tastes fantastic hot or cold, it’s the perfect dish to make a few ingredients go a long way.
- 350g (12oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 4 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 900g (2lb) good quality sausage meat
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 4 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6. For the filling, mix the sausage meat together with the onions and herbs. Thinly roll out two thirds of the pastry and use to line the base and sides of a 20cm/8in, deep, loose-based cake tin. Trim the pastry level with the top of the tin.
- Brush the pastry with 15ml/3tsp of the mustard. Spoon in two thirds of the sausage meat, then make 4 deep holes, large enough to crack the eggs into. Carefully crack an egg into each hole. Cover with the remaining sausage meat, pressing it down firmly around the edges.
- Thinly roll out the remaining pastry and cut out a 20cm/8in round, using the cake tin as a guide. Brush with remaining mustard and place mustard side down on top of the sausage meat. Brush the top with the remaining beaten egg; fold the edges of the pastry on the sides of the tin, down over the edge of the lid; crimp to seal. Make a steam hole in the centre and use any trimmings to make decorations for the top. Brush with remaining egg.
- Stand the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin for 15minutes before cutting into wedges to serve warm. Alternatively, cool, then chill and serve cold with salad.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A great-tasting picnic favourite, our summer quiche recipe is a fantastic dish to share with others on a sunny...
Forget the pastry quiche
Perfect as a healthy lunch or light dinner, forget the pastry quiche has all the flavour of a classic...
Courgette and red onion 'no pastry' quiche
To watch top vlogger Juggle Mum cook this recipe click here.
Tom Daley's Beetroot, Kale and Goat's Cheese Quiche
This quiche is perfect if you’re having friends or family round for dinner – it’s bright colours and indulgent...