Simnel apricot and pecan cake
- Serves: 10
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) light soft brown sugar
- 3 large British Lion eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) sultanas
- 225g (8oz) no-soak apricots, chopped
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170C/320F. Grease a 20cm (8 inch) round, deep cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth and glossy. Fold in the remaining ingredients and spoon into the tin. Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours until risen and firm.
- Use a sharp knife to split the cake in half through the middle. Roll out two thirds of the marzipan on an icing sugar-dusted surface and cut out two 20cm (8 inch) rounds. Brush both cut surfaces of the cake with jam and sandwich together with one of the marzipan rounds.
- Brush the top of the cake with jam and arrange the second marzipan round on top, crimp the edges. Roll the remaining marzipan into eleven balls and arrange on top of the cake, attaching with more jam.
- Spoon the chocolate into a greaseproof paper piping bag and drizzle over the top of the cake.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Mini Easter cakes
A great mini Easter cake recipe to make with the kids. Start off with making a whole bunch of...
Easter eggy bread
An egg-cellent recipe to rustle up this Easter . Use up your hot cross buns for the eggy bread...
Lemony hot cross pudding
A zesty take on a classic, our lemony hot cross pudding has just the right amount of sweetness, perfectly...
Hot cross buns with cherry & walnut
A variation of this classic Easter recipe , which will impress.