Apple and cider pancakes
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 100ml/4floz dry cider
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling:
- 40g/11/2oz butter
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 350g/12oz eating apples, cored and sliced
- Icing sugar to dust
- Cream, to serve
- Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl, add half the cider and whisk well until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining cider and cinnamon and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use - it may need thinning after standing, add a little cider or water.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe around the pan with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Flip over using a spatula or if you are feeling brave, toss the pancake!
- Cook the pancake for further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter to make a further 3 pancakes in the same way.
- For the filling: melt the butter in the frying pan, add the sugar and cook over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves and begins to caramelise. Add the apple slices. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until the apples are tender and coated in caramel sauce.
- To serve, divide the apple mixture between the warm pancakes and fold into quarters. Divide between 4 plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve with cream if desired.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Normandy apple crepes
Normandy apple crêpes
Super green matcha pancakes, coconut cream and raspberries
For tea lovers. These pancakes are rich and fresh at the same time. A combination of tropical and Japanese...
Blueberries make a delicious topping for pancakes. Try our other pancake recipes.