- Serves: 2
- Prep: 4mins
- Cook: 12mins
Warming and flavoursome, this comfort food is sure to be popular with the family and is suitable for vegetarians.
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) Cheddar, grated
- a dash of vinegar
- 400g can baked beans
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the milk, flour, mustard and butter in a medium pan. Whisk together with a balloon whisk and slowly bring to the boil, whisking until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in half the cheese and season to taste. Set aside.
- Fill a large frying pan with salted water, add the vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile put the beans in a pan and gently heat for 2-3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile toast the bread on both sides under a hot grill. Arrange the toast on two heatproof serving plates. Top with the baked beans and place a poached egg on top of each. Spoon over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place each plate under the grill and cook for 1 minute until golden.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Oven roasted tomato and rocket bagels
Bagels with oven roasted tomato and rocket. Oven-roasting the cherry tomatoes gives them a wonderful concentrated flavour. You can...
Poached egg on bagel
It is a common question chefs get asked: ‘How do you make perfect poached eggs?’ They are probably one...
Warm lentil and egg salad
Perfect for refuelling this meal provides high amounts of both carbohydrate and protein needed for speeding glycogen recovery and...
Perfectly poached eggs
Uncover the secret to perfectly delicious poached eggs with this popular and flavourful classic recipe. Tuck into a smooth...