Fennel bread and butter pudding
- Serves: 8
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 30mins
Bread & butter pudding with ginger custard.
- For the Fennel Bread and Butter Pudding:
- 600ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 large British Lion eggs
- 100g granulated sugar + 3tbsp for sprinkling
- 220g brioche loaf, sliced
- 50g soft unsalted butter
- For the Ginger Custard:
- 200ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 30g root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 4 large British Lion egg yolks
- 75g granulated sugar
- For the pudding, place the milk and fennel seeds in a pan, bring to the boil, then set aside and leave to infuse for up to 3 hours. For the custard, place the milk, cream, ginger and vanilla in a pan and bring to the boil, then leave to infuse in the same way.
- Finish the pudding: beat the whole eggs and 100g sugar together then strain over the fennel-flavoured milk. Beat well until the sugar dissolves.
- Butter a 1.5l (3pt) rectangular ovenproof dish. Spread the butter over the brioche then arrange in a couple of overlapping layers. Pour the fennel custard over the brioche pushing it down with a spoon until it is submerged. Leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Fan 160 C / Gas 4. Put a kettle of water on to boil. Place the dish in a roasting tin and pour boiling water from the kettle to come half way up the outside of the dish. Sprinkle the top with the extra sugar. Bake for 25-30 mins or until just set and slightly risen.
- Meanwhile finish the ginger custard: beat the egg yolks with the sugar; strain over the ginger milk then return to the rinsed out pan. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Pour into a jug and cool.
- Once cooked, pop the pudding under a hot grill and cook for a couple of minutes until the sugary top has carmelised. Serve warm in squares with the ginger custard spooned around.
*Plus infusing time
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Lemon meringue roulade
Finish your dinner party in style with this delicious and impressive dessert.
Blueberries make a delicious topping for pancakes. Try our other pancake recipes.
Passion cake is a classic Easter recipe, a teatime treat the whole family can enjoy.