Gizzi Erskine's cheat's croque madame
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 0 mins
- Cook: 8 mins
Gizzi says: "For a continental twist on lunch try a croque madame and transport yourself to Paris in the springtime! Here’s my cheat’s version using crème fraiche rather than béchamel – ready in eight minutes."
- 2 slices of soft white Pain de Champagne bread
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche (or ready-made béchamel or cheese sauce)
- 50g grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 slice of good quality carved ham from a deli or deli counter (from the bone)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large British Lion egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spread the butter on both sides of the bread then spread one side with Dijon mustard. Spread on 1 tablespoon of crème fraiche, béchamel or cheese sauce. Sprinkle on half the grated cheese and lay on the slice of ham, then sandwich together. Spread the top layer of the sandwich with the rest of the crème fraiche, béchamel or cheese sauce, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes until the cheese has melted and gone gooey on top.
- While the sandwich is baking heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the egg (Gizzi uses free range) for 1-2 minutes basting the yolk with the hot oil as it cooks. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately on top of the sandwich.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Gizzi Erskine's huevos rancheros
Gizzi says: "One of my favourite brunch recipes must be huevos rancheros, the classic Mexican dish of corn tortillas...
Gizzi Erskine's boiled eggs and asparagus spears
Gizzi says: "For perfect boiled eggs it’s all in the timing. My best tip for gloriously gooey yolks is...