Australian eggs benedict
- Serves: 1
- Prep: 0mins
- Cook: 11mins
- #To make the hollandaise
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 1 English muffin, halved
- 2 slices of good quality carved smoked ham from a deli or deli counter (from the bone)
- 1 large vine tomato cut into 4 width ways
- ½ avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- #For the rest of the dish
- 2 large British Lion egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon tarragon or white wine vinegar
- a pinch of sea salt
- a splash of ice cold water
- 125g unsalted butter, ice cold and cut into cubes
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- Put two egg yolks, ½ teaspoon of tarragon or white wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan. Whisk for a few minutes then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cubes of butter, bit by bit until it's all incorporated and you have a creamy hollandaise (if it gets too thick, add a splash of water). Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil then poach two eggs for 3 minutes so the yolks are still soft. Lift each one out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- To make eggs Benedict, toast 2 muffin halves, top each with a slice of ham, a slice of tomato, a few slices of avocado a poached egg and spoon over a generous helping of hollandaise
See also: The classic Eggs Benedict recipe.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
A take on the classic full English breakfast
Poached egg on bagel
It is a common question chefs get asked: ‘How do you make perfect poached eggs?’ They are probably one...
Gizzi Erskine's Turkish eggs with toast
A fantastic brunch dish by Gizzi Erskine
Soft scrambled eggs
As long as you are ready with your plates and accompaniments, before you begin scrambling your eggs, you will...