Mackerel and fennel salad
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 30mins
- Cook: 0mins
This is a really tasty salad combining great tastes of mackerel and fennel.
- 675g (1 1/2lb) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs
- a bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 peppered smoked mackerel fillets
- a dash of vinegar
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- salad leaves, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for minutes or until just tender. Drain in a colander and rinse in cold water until cool. Leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the fennel and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring until pale golden. Remove from heat.
- Place the spring onions, yoghurt and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl and mix with a fork. Add the potatoes and fennel. Break the mackerel into chunks, discarding the skin and bones. Add to the bowl and toss together lightly.
- Fill a large frying pan with salted water, add the vinegar and bring to the boil. Poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Have a bowl of cold water ready. Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs from the pan and place them in the cold water. Leave for 1 minute and then drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, arrange a few salad leaves on four plates, top with potato and mackerel salad and place a poached egg on top
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Garlic & mushroom bruschetta
Quick and easy to prepare this brushetta recipe makes an excellent starter when you're entertaining.
Warm lentil and egg salad
Perfect for refuelling this meal provides high amounts of both carbohydrate and protein needed for speeding glycogen recovery and...