Mediterranean Egg Salad
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 2 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves
- 300g medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g cucumber, 2cm cubed
- 1 large avocado, 2cm cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced into crescents
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp sumac
1. Place the British Lion eggs into a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them by 1cm. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes. As soon as they are cooked drain and cool them rapidly under cold running water.
2. To peel the eggs crack the shells all over on a hard surface then peel the shell off and rinse. Cut each egg into quarters and place on a plate. Drizzle with ½ tbsp olive oil then scatter with ½ tsp chilli powder, chopped herbs and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and red onion on a serving dish (if not serving straight away toss the avocado gently in a little lemon juice to prevent browning.) Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, then sprinkle with the sumac and remaining ¼ tsp chilli powder.
The rapid cooling of the eggs helps to prevent dark rings forming between the yolk and the white.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: