Miso mushroom ramen with soft boiled egg
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 40mins
- 1.5l good quality vegetable stock
- 50g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 brown onion, peeled, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled
- 50g ginger root, peeled
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 large British Lion eggs, soft boiled
- 300g firm tofu, cut to small buttons
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 head of pak choi
- 200g mixed mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 sheets of seaweed, soaked in water until soft
- 200g noodles of your choice, cooked according to instructions on packaging
- Sesame oil
1. Heat up a griddle pan or heavy cast iron pan and grill the onion quarters and ginger until they get the burnt marks on each side and slightly soften.
2. Pour the boiling water over the shiitake mushrooms and leave aside for at least 20 min.
3. Heat up a tablespoon of sesame oil in a large pot and add ginger, onion and garlic to it. Fry for 30 seconds, constantly stirring. Pour the vegetable stock, mushrooms (with soaking water) over the onion/ginger/garlic mix. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Whilst the broth is simmering prepare your toppings. In a shallow bowl mix the corn flour with a pinch of salt and use it to cover the tofu slices. Heat up the oil in a small frying pan and fry the tofu, 4-6 pieces at a time.
5. Clean the pan and melt the butter. Fry the mushrooms with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper, until they turn brown and soften (roughly 5 minutes, depending on type of mushroom you are using).
6. Fill a medium saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil. Separate the pak choi leaves and soak them in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Peel and cut the soft boiled eggs in half.
7. After 30 minutes take the broth off the heat, mix in the miso paste and season with soy sauce. Strain through a sieve and transfer into deep serving bowls. Assemble with all the toppings and add sesame oil to taste.
See the boiled eggs how-to guide.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: