How to boil an egg
- Serves: 2
- Prep: 0mins
- Cook: 5mins
Boiled eggs are a quick and easy way to bulk up any meal, particularly for vegetarians, but many still struggle with how to make the perfect boiled egg.
The big question: How long to boil an egg? The quick answer is: It takes four to five minutes to soft boil a large egg that's perfect for dipping toast soldiers into. However, egg cooking time depends on a number of factors – personal preference, whether the eggs are refrigerated, their size and even the type of pan used.
Whether you prefer soft or hard boiled, we have put together a list of easy to follow instructions for getting great boiled eggs every time. No matter how you like your eggs boiled, our recipe suits any type of meal.
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- Water for boiling
- Pinch of salt
- Buttered toast cut into soldiers to serve (optional)
- Place the large egg in a small pan. Cover with at least 2.5cm (1") of cold water, add a pinch of salt and place the pan on a high heat.
- When the water is almost boiling, gently stir the egg and set a kitchen timer for one of the timings below:
- 3 minutes for really soft boiled yolk and set white
- 4 minutes for slightly set yolk and set white
- 5 minutes for a medium cooked firmer yolk and white
- 6 minutes for hard boiled with lightly soft yolk
- 8 minutes for firmly hard boiled
- Reduce heat slightly to keep water bubbling but not fast boiling and stir the egg once more.
- Once cooking time is complete, remove the egg from the pan with slotted spoon, place into egg cup and serve immediately with hot buttered toast soldiers.
To prevent egg cracking, make a small pin prick in the shell at the rounded end to allow the steam to escape.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
How long to boil an egg?
For perfect results you may also want to consider the size of the eggs to be boiled.
Soft boiled egg time?
- 3 minutes for a medium egg
- 4 minutes for a large egg
- 5 minutes for an extra-large egg
- 4 minutes for a medium egg
- 5 minutes for a large egg
- 6 minutes for an extra-large egg
How long to hard boil eggs?
- 7 minutes for a medium egg
- 8 minutes for a large egg
- 9 minutes for an extra-large egg
More boiled egg recipes
Boiled eggs can be a delicious addition to any meal; simple or adventurous. So why not try a quick and easy Crunchy seeded soldiers and soft boiled eggs for lunch? Or a Chicken and avocado cobb salad for a healthy meal in a hurry.
Boiling is just the beginning! Try out one of our many fantastic boiled egg recipes and create some dynamic and delicious dishes.
Time your eggs to perfection with our free app
Timing boiled eggs can be difficult, especially when trying to make perfect soft boiled eggs for dipping soldiers or to easy peel hard boiled eggs.
The Egg Recipes app egg timer allows you to tailor the cooking time to your preferences – whether you like hard boiled eggs with a firm yolk or soft boiled eggs with a runny yolk. Just select your desired choice from the menu and let the timer do the work!