Oat pancakes with smoked salmon and eggs
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10mins
- Cook: 20mins
- 75g/3oz porridge oats
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large British Lion eggs
- 150ml/1/4pt milk
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling:
- 8 large British Lion eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- A knob of butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g Scottish smoked salmon slices
- Chopped fresh dill to garnish
- First make the pancakes: Place the oats in a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground. Add the salt, eggs and milk and blend again until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use.
- Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper. Now pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula or if you are feeling brave, flip the pancake!
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and interleave with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter and a little more oil to make a further 3 pancakes in the same way.
- For the filling: in a large jug, beat the eggs with the milk and salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan, add the egg mixture and cook over a low heat, stirring until the eggs have scrambled to your liking.
- Place a pancake on four warm plates; divide the scrambled egg between the pancakes along with the smoked salmon. Scatter over black pepper and dill and serve straight away.
Tip: If you are on a gluten free diet use oats which are guaranteed ‘gluten free’. Most are, but are often milled or processed in factories where flours and other grains containing flour are prepared.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Moroccan semolina pancakes
Try this recipe for Moroccan semolina pancakes for a truly international taste
A delicious retro recipe for pancakes in a boozy orange sauce
How to make pancakes
How to make pancakes? Follow our simple step by step method. Fabulous pancakes are easy to make and can...