Spinach and baked eggs tart
- Serves: 6
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
Serve spinach and baked eggs tarts as a tasty starter when entertaining or as a main meal for the family.
- 450g/1lb ready made shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 350g/12oz young spinach leaves, washed
- 2.5ml / 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 50g/2oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 7 large British Lion eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Cut the pastry into six pieces and thinly roll out each on a lightly floured board. Use to line six 10cm/4in fluted flan tins. Line with greaseproof paper and half fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins or until soft, then add the spinach leaves, stirring to pack them into the pan. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 3-4mins or until all the leaves have wilted.
- Tip the spinach into a sieve and squeeze out the excess liquid. Return to the pan, add the nutmeg, 30ml/2tbsp crème fraiche, 1 beaten egg and half the cheese and plenty of salt and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the spinach between the pastry cases, making a well in the centre of each. Carefully crack an egg into the well in the centre of each, spoon 5ml/1tsp crème fraiche over each and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake for 12-15 mins or until the tops are pale golden and the eggs just set, but the yolks are still a little runny. Serve warm with salad leaves.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Toad in the hole batter mix, with onion gravy
A classic toad in the hole batter mix recipe which the whole family will love. We have lots more...
Baked breakfast with tomato and mushroom
Great recipe for all-in-one baked full English breakfast that the family will love, easy and low in calories, it's...