Spinach and baked eggs tart
- Serves: 6
- Prep: 20mins
- Cook: 40mins
Serve spinach and baked eggs tarts as a tasty starter when entertaining or as a main meal for the family.
- 450g/1lb ready made shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 350g/12oz young spinach leaves, washed
- 2.5ml / 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 50g/2oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 7 large British Lion eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Cut the pastry into six pieces and thinly roll out each on a lightly floured board. Use to line six 10cm/4in fluted flan tins. Line with greaseproof paper and half fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins or until soft, then add the spinach leaves, stirring to pack them into the pan. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 3-4mins or until all the leaves have wilted.
- Tip the spinach into a sieve and squeeze out the excess liquid. Return to the pan, add the nutmeg, 30ml/2tbsp crème fraiche, 1 beaten egg and half the cheese and plenty of salt and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the spinach between the pastry cases, making a well in the centre of each. Carefully crack an egg into the well in the centre of each, spoon 5ml/1tsp crème fraiche over each and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake for 12-15 mins or until the tops are pale golden and the eggs just set, but the yolks are still a little runny. Serve warm with salad leaves.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Baked eggs with courgettes & tomatoes
212 calories per portion
Avocado egg cups
Add a dash of experimentation to your culinary arsenal with this wonderfully inventive Avocado Egg Cups recipe. Experience the...
MOB Kitchen's Garlic, Tomato and Basil Baked Eggs
Watch the yolk drip, as you dunk crunchy croutons into this deliciously sweet and fresh tomato sauce with runny...
Pesto egg and ham Danish pastry
A quick and easy pastry recipe with eggs and ham