Tuna and egg pie
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15mins
- Cook: 40mins
Tuna and egg pie is a useful standby that makes the most of store cupboard ingredients - a tasty and low-budget meal.
- 675g/1 1/2lb potatoes, peeled
- 75g/3oz butter
- 6 large British Lion eggs
- 450ml/3/4pt milk
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g/3oz frozen peas
- 75g/3oz frozen sweetcorn
- 400g can tuna chunks in brine, drained and flaked
- 100g/4oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark6. Cut the potatoes into large even-sized chunks, then cook in boiling salted water for 10-15mins or until tender. Drain and mash with the 25g of the butter.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 7mins. Drain the eggs, then rinse in cold water. Tap the shells all over and peel away. Cut eggs into large chunks.
- Place the milk, remaining butter and flour together in a medium pan. Gently heat, stirring with a wire whisk until the mixture boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and cook for 1min. Season to taste and stir in half the cheese.
- Scatter the chopped eggs, drained tuna and frozen peas and sweetcorn over the base of an ovenproof dish. Pour over the sauce and lightly stir. Use a fork and spoon to evenly spread the potato on top of the base. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 20mins or until piping hot and golden on top.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Leftover roast chicken crustless mini quiches
Perfect for a picnic, party or just sharing with the family, our roast chicken crustless mini quiches are a...
Egg and broccoli pasta
This recipe is fantastic value at less than £1 per portion. Not only that but it is also deliciously...
Tom Daley’s asparagus, smoked salmon and egg tart
This puff pastry delight is spread with cream cheese before being topped with boiled eggs, seasonal British asparagus and...