The Ultimate Croque madame
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 5mins
- Cook: 20mins
This is the naughtiest little croque you will ever eat!
Make sure not to overcook your British Lion egg, so you have a nice runny yolk.
- 4 Medium British Lion eggs
- 200g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8 slices of ham
- 50ml milk
- 200g Gruyère
- 1 sourdough loaf
- Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Start by adding a large knob of butter to a frying pan (saving the rest for later). Allow it to melt.
3. Next, add the ﬂour and paprika into the pan and stir into a loose paste, this is known as a roux. Next, add around 25ml of milk and stir. Keep adding your milk gradually, stirring out the lumps.
4. Grate your Gruyère and add 100g to your pan. Stir until it starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and mix together.
5. Cut eight slices of your sourdough and place them onto a baking tray.
6. Butter the slices generously with the remaining butter, then add 3 tbsp of the roux sauce onto four of the slices. Add two slices of ham on top of the first layer of roux and top with another slice of bread. Add another 3 tbsp of the roux to the top of each sandwich and spread.
7. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of each sandwich and then place them under the grill for 8 minutes.
8. Crack your British Lion eggs into a frying pan, with some olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until each egg has a nice, crispy base.
9. Get your sandwiches out of the oven and add an egg on top of each one. Then tuck into this delicious dish!
Click on the stars to rate this recipe: