Haddock egg Florentine
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
A delicious dinner that is perfect for a family
- 225g bag young spinach leaves
- 50g (1 3/4oz) butter
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 x 175g (6oz) smoked haddock fillets
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 50g (1 3/4oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180 C/350 F.
- Empty the spinach into a large pan, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Drain well in a sieve, pressing down with a wooden spoon to remove the excess juices. Add 15g (1/2oz) butter and season to taste. Arrange four heaps of spinach in a shallow ovenproof dish. Top with sliced tomatoes, then the haddock fillets on top of the spinach. Cover with buttered foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining butter, flour and milk, in a medium pan and bring to the boil, whisking all the time, until the mixture boils and thickens. Cook for 1 minute and then remove from the heat. Stir in half the cheese and set aside
- Preheat the grill. Top each fillet with a poached egg, pour over the sauce and top with the remaining cheese. Cook for 2 minutes under a hot grill until golden brown.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Garlic & mushroom bruschetta
Quick and easy to prepare this brushetta recipe makes an excellent starter when you're entertaining.
Pesto, spring greens & egg pasta
This flavourful pasta dish will be a hit with everyone – plus it’s a great (and quick and easy)...
Perfect breakfast for men
The perfectly balanced breakfast