Russian fish pie
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 25mins
- Cook: 30mins
Try fish pie, Russian-style
- 10 medium British Lion eggs, hard boiled
- 1kg (approx 2lb) smoked haddock
- 500ml (1pt) milk
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 450g (1lb) onions, sliced
- 75g (3 oz) flour
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1kg (approx 2lb) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 beaten British Lion egg to glaze
- Poach the smoked haddock in the milk until just cooked. Drain, reserving the milk. Skin and flake the fish.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and gently fry until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flaked fish, lemon juice and seasoning. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry on a floured surface into a 45cm (18") square.
- Pour the fish mixture in the centre of the pastry. Spread into a 30cm (12") square. Quarter the eggs and arrange on the top in rows. Dampen the pastry edges and bring each corner to meet in the centre. Seal and pinch the edges. Glaze with a beaten egg.
- Bake at Gas Mark 7/220C/435F for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is well risen and golden brown.
For more information about boiling eggs visit the How to boil an egg page.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Falafel Scotch eggs
Enjoy delicious falafel Scotch eggs. Serve the eggs warm or cold with salad leaves.
Egg and broccoli pasta
This recipe is fantastic value at less than £1 per portion. Not only that but it is also deliciously...
Tom Daley’s boiled egg and avocado soldiers
An introduction to eggs and avocado for baby to feed themselves, packed full of nutrition with high quality protein...
Gizzi Erskine's boiled eggs and asparagus spears
Gizzi says: "For perfect boiled eggs it’s all in the timing. My best tip for gloriously gooey yolks is...