Soda bread, eggs, bacon and fried potatoes
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
A delicious recipe that will become a family favourite.
- 225g/8oz plain wholemeal flour
- 100g/4oz plain white flour
- 50g/2oz medium oatmeal
- 7.5ml/ 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 7.5ml/ 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2.5ml/ 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g/2oz butter
- 200ml/ 7floz carton buttermilk or natural yoghurt
- a little milk for glazing
- 45ml/3tbsp vegetable oil
- 175g/6oz new potatoes, sliced
- dash of vinegar
- 4 large British Lion eggs
- 4 rashers middle back bacon
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Place the flours, oatmeal, soda, tartar and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter. Add the buttermilk and mix to a firm dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface then shape into a 18cm/7in round loaf shape. Brush with the milk and sprinkle over a little extra flour or oatmeal if liked. Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden brown and risen - the loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the base. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the potatoes and fry for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally until golden on both sides. Grill or fry the bacon and tomatoes to your liking.
- To poach the eggs: fill a non-stick frying pan with water, add a dash of vinegar and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. When the water is simmering, carefully crack in the eggs, reduce the heat and poach for 2-3 mins or cooked to you liking. Serve the poached egg on top of buttered soda bread with the bacon, tomatoes and potatoes to accompany.
Click on the stars to rate this recipe:
You might also like
Soft poached eggs, sweetcorn pancake and crispy pancetta
A recipe for soft poached eggs served on a sweetcorn pancake and crispy pancetta.
New York Eggs Benedict
This is a quick and easy version of Eggs Benedict, which contains only 284 calories per portion.
Gizzi Erskine's Turkish eggs with toast
A fantastic brunch dish by Gizzi Erskine
A take on the classic full English breakfast